This performance took place in an old olive tree garden in Cimiez/Nice
(in the south of France) at Culture en Herbe (http://www.cultureenherbe.fr/), an awesome free/grass-roots festival with art exhibitions, animations/worshops for kids & older kids, music & sometimes even
a bubble machine 😀
I hope that you’ll enjoy this excerpt from Metanoia Orchestra’s very first concert, a peculiar group entirely composed of special guests :
– Yona Yacoub : Voice.
– Misja Fitzgerald Michel : Guitar.
– Kevin Tardevet : Double-bass.
– TaoTeKid : modal/rhythmic environments
+ live electronic drums & voice-controlled orchestra.
This concert was special for several reasons …
This was the very first time we ever played together,
the whole idea was to gather & meet that day for a totally unrehearsed concert that we would improvise around a minimal set of modal/rhythmic environments, the frame & the canvas for our collective free-form musical painting, so to speak :
– a rather deep drone/pad (entirely made with UGO’s “Mean Little Monosynth” Rez 3 : http://www.ugoaudio.com/plug-ins/rez )
& a multi-layered percussion beat in “Kids At Play” :
– a minimalist metronomic electronic beat & a synth bass/hammered guitar line that was generated using http://www.xoxos.net ‘s awesome algorithmic sequencing platform “Hyperion”, in “Soleares & Carceleras” :
… “but why the oxygen mask !?” you might ask 🙂
well, think of it as a tiny vocal recording booth that isolates my headset microphone from the stage monitors & allows me drive up my microphone’s sensitivity so that I only need to hum (since I can’t actually sing : ) into my voice-controlled “virtual” orchestra, a muti-instrumental harmonized (and/or reversed/arpeggiated) canon system, basically a chaining of VST instruments & effects programmed to modify & respond to my pseudo-singing via an audio/mic-to-midi conversion (using JamOrigin’s “Midi Guitar” VST http://www.jamorigin.com/site/products/midi-guitar/ 🙂 …
my drumkit triggers both an acoustic kit & a special percussion canon/sync-delayed response (on congas, pandiero, timbales, tambourine & cymbals) in “Soleares & Carceleras” 🙂
– this concert was also my first public performance with this system that I designed as a solution for me to start performing live music with my peers after over a decade of mostly ascetic home-studio work in progress 🙂
– I was told by a friend that this was quite an ambitious project & I feel blessed that my friends/guests accepted my invitation to make it happen & make this first meeting/improvised concert a decent proof of concept 🙂
I am honored by your trust & support, thank you 😀
– “Metanoia is to the mind what metamorphosis is to nymphs and pupae.”
You can read a more extensive definition of the concept on Scott Noble’s Metanoïa Films’ “about” page here :
Apart from having its name originating from it – & I hope it is obvious that this is not a case of shameless name-theft/self-attribution that came out of some lack of inspiration, but on the contrary, a heartfelt tribute –
“Métanoïa Orchestra” is not affiliated with http://metanoia-films.org/films/
but I whole-heartedly support Scott Noble’s work which I find truly admirable :
He is the author of a remarkably brilliant body of work that I can’t recommend enough, a must-watch documentary series for anyone who wishes to understand the world that we live in, why it’s so f**ked up & how mind-f**king tactics (“The real battlefield is the mind.”, check out “Psywar” up there) allow the actual f**k-up machinery to work till this day …
(see “The Power Principle”, “Counter-Intelligence”, & also “Lifting the Veil”)
but be warned that this powerful eye/mind-opening & empowering series of beautifully crafted films can undo much of the mind-f**k that one has been subjected to from an early age (see “Human Resources”),
which can be quite a shock …
Really powerful stuff that I suspect can render the attentive listener/viewer’s mind immune to the worst kind of mind-f**k attempts by the system …
& the musical selections are great too …
watch those films !!!
do it for the children ! 😉
… anyway – short & sweet – I hope that you’ll enjoy the music 😀
Wishing all the best to you & your loved ones …
Peace + Blessings,